I had been meaning to write about the full disclosure policy on the blog in light of new US Federal Trade Commission rules introduced last fall that required bloggers to provide a full disclosure when they received free samples or have some financial interest in any product they write about. What with one thing or another, the topic fell off my radar screen. But now, in light of a recent minor kerfuffle on Where Does All My Money Go?, in which Preet forgot to mention that a post was sponsored, I thought I’d clearly spell out the editorial policy on the blog. So, here it goes:
- I will about topics I find interesting and/or topics that I think will interest and, hopefully, profit you. Unless otherwise mentioned no payment, monetary or otherwise, directly or indirectly has been paid to write and publish a specific post. Sponsored posts will be clearly marked.
- I occasionally may participate in affiliate arrangements with purveyors of financial products and services. Any participation will be disclosed, just so you are aware of it.
- I participate in Amazon.ca’s affiliate program. If you see a link to Amazon, you can assume that it is an affiliate link. Since, all earnings from Amazon are recycled into finance books that I read and review here, you get an indirect benefit as well.
- About the only free products I receive are books and financial software. While I love reading and free books are one of the nice perks of blogging, receiving a review copy isn’t always a free lunch. When I purchase a book or borrow it from the library, I have no qualms about putting it away after reading a few pages. With a review copy, I feel obligated to try and finish the book and then write about it, which sometimes turns a fun activity into grunt work. Whether I purchase the book or receive a free copy, I try to record my honest opinion in the review. I won’t write a positive review just because a publisher or author sent me a free book.
- I will run advertisements on the blog. The ads help defray my expenses in running the blog and puts some extra cash in my pocket. I hope you won’t begrudge that because after all, we are capitalists here.
- Blogs are a very democratic medium and reader comments are welcomed and encouraged. However, free speech has its limits. Abusive or offensive language will not be tolerated. Neither will slander or baseless allegations. Fortunately, such comments are few and far between on this blog and only a small minority of comments have ever been deleted or edited for overstepping the limits.
- Spam will not be tolerated. Comments that have little or no relation to the topic at hand will be summarily deleted without any explanation.
If you have any concerns let me know and I’ll try and address it.